This week we stopped by Onnit in Austin, Texas, to talk about some pretty big ideas with CEO and founder Aubrey Marcus. If, for example, you want to know how to change the world for the better, then this is the episode for you.
“If you want to be of service for society at large, you’ve got to be fit for service. And to be fit for service, you have to do these personal practices. You have to get yourself in a state where you’re able to affect change and really help people.”
Aubrey shared a lot of insight about what he does to get himself fit for service, and he peppers the podcast with both the science and ancient philosophies that justify his practices. Y’all know about ecstatic dance? If you don’t, you will by the time you’re done listening (and you might be looking up where to find it in your area). Aubrey tells us about how to stack practices wisely for the best results. Looking at health through the lens of identity and consciousness, Aubrey’s practices take functional fitness to a new level. Ecstatic dance is just one item in the toolkit he employs to reach a flow state on the regular. Meditation, floating, yoga, and (of course) the gym all have their place, too.
He describes flow states as a “pause from all the stress and worry. It’s a really dramatic reset. Just like sleep resets all of these biological functions, I think flow resets a lot of these emotional functions… You get to escape that for a little while. And sometimes it’s waiting for you on the other side, but at least you’ve given yourself that break.”
This Week on Barbell Shrugged, We Interview Aubrey Marcus to Discuss:
- The conscious self vs. the identity self, and when to employ them
- How to stack your health and fitness practices
- Sleep! How to make it count when you don’t get enough of it
- Our place in the universe, the meaning of life, and other trivial matters
After the show definitely check out Onnit’s line of supplements, equipment, foods, and resources for your complete optimization. Go here to go to a special page where you will automatically get 10% off your orders.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for video:
Enjoy the show,
- Automatically get 10% off Onnit supplements, resources, equipment and foods. Click here to shop and save 10%.
- Books mentioned The Four Agreements by Janet Mills and Sleep by Nick Littlehales
- Follow Aubrey on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and at AubreyMarcus.com
- Subscribe to Barbell Shrugged on Youtube, Facebook and Instagram for the newest episodes and updates.